Planning & Engineering

The Town of Redcliff’s planning and development functions fall under the Legislative and Land Services department.  Our staff strives to provide a comfortable and straight forward approach to helping customers with Subdivision and Land Use Amendment applications, Development Permits, Compliance requests and issuance of Plumbing, Gas, and Electrical Permits.  Development staff is available to answer any questions you may have about the application process, policies, the Land Use Bylaw, property specifications (e.g. zoning, lot size, property line locations).

This department provides advice to Town Council, the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board, and the Municipal Planning Commission on applications or potential development through interpretation of the Town of Redcliff’s Land Use Bylaw and policies as well as the Municipal Government Act.

What is Development?

Typically, development involves construction or modification of a building or structure, but it can also include demolition, excavation or a change in use; be it a new use or change in intensity of the existing use.  In most cases a Development Permit is required prior to the start of development; however there are some exceptions where a permit may not be required.   If you have any questions whether the scope of work you are going to do is considered development and whether it requires a permit, please stop by the office or contact the Planning and Development Department at 403-548-3618.

You may apply for a Development Permit at the Town Office.  With each application for development, a completed Development Permit Application form is required along with the supporting information and fee.  A number of common development forms and applications are available on our forms page.

How do I apply for a Building, Electrical , Gas, Plumbing or Private Sewage System Permit?

All Safety Codes Permits (Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Gas & Private Sewage Systems) for work in the Town are to be applied for through the Town of Redcliff.  Applications can be made at the Town Office.